Wednesday, December 12, 2012

when it rains it pours

Warning, this might be long... It's been awhile! So just shortly after my last blog post, we had a giant encounter with Super Storm Sandy. We had gotten a few warnings, mostly just little reminders that it would be windy and rainy, but, nothing prepared anyone in our area for what happened. I had a feeling to go to the store and get some water and make something fast for dinner. My family had no more than taken our last bite of dinner when the power went out. It stayed out for a little over 20 hours and we were one of the lucky ones. It turned out there were several people in our area without power for much longer. On the third day after the initial power outage a friend of mine appeared at my door asking to do some laundry. I realized her and her husband and two ADORABLE boys had been without power for all three days and it was still out. I forced them to stay at our house until their power turned back on (which was on the seventh day!) Also, it happened to be Halloween, which unfortunately got postponed, so we had ourselves a little party indoors. They stayed with us for a few days, which  turned out to be so much fun and we got to know them so much better. Truly, sometimes when bad things happen, they turn into something really special and necessary. I don't know what we would ever do without our Fitzner friends. On the last night they stayed with us, my sister Randee flew in to visit. Rand got to know our friends and her and I and the kids had a blast while Jace, bless his heart, took his finals! We Zumba'd and just did the things I miss doing, like shopping and talking and movies! We got to go trick-or-treating a few days later and it was just refreshing to see a whole city carry-on (even if it was a few days later than the rest of the country) after being stuck inside for so long. It was sad to say goodbye to Rand, which happens every time someone leaves us, mostly because it reminds me how important they are and how much they are a giant piece of who I am. But, also, because Elliot loves the family so much. He has been reminding me ever since she left that "We get to go on a big airplane, see Dee Dee, Pop, Gram, Chels, Baby Hayes..." he lists everyone, I promise! Which speaking of, we are flying home for Christmas in 9 days and I can honestly tell you I have a restaurant list going... is that lame? Zupas, Los Hermanos, Sammy's... I won't keep going, but needless to say, I am excited. We all are. We are having an early Christmas here, which has been a perfect manipulation tactic for Elliot. How do parents do it for the other eleven months of the year?! Maybe I am relying on Santa as a crutch a little too much...haha but,  maybe not. It will be Mae's first Christmas and it is already so magical with two kiddos in the house (when I'm not threatening them that Santa won't come if they don't stop licking my ornaments, yeah that's happening, Elliot refers to himself as "Elliot dog" these days ha! And Mae is his little copy-cat) Anyway, Elliot is so much fun (as fun as a sassy, way-too-smart-for-his-age, two year old can be) and Mae is literally filled with so much crazy energy that  I have to pin her like a wrestler just to change her diaper, but we love them regardless! When they aren't growling like lions at the table, singing me the "afabet song" or learning how to wave, blow kisses and say "uh, oh," they are teaching us about the story of Jesus and Mary and Joseph (which Elliot did today, with his head in my shower...) They teach me new things everyday. It's incredible that through my two little ones I am learning how to stay grounded. Whether it's a storm, or the airport I am dreading next week, they are helping me feel the magic of the season, and for life. And for that I am so grateful!

Minutes before the storm hit... great parents.

Caught in action, jumping in the puddles


Best. picture. ever. Our little spider haha!

And our little Mae bug the lady bug.

At the Museum of Natural History

The Triceratops has always been a favorite.

Grrrr. They were being dinosaurs, Jace just took it more seriously haha!

Little Irish eyes!

He thought it was real and wanted to find out!

Tree decorating!


The kids being "dogs" in their dog house. (peanut butter face!)



Mommy the train!


 Hope you have an awesome Christmas!



3 comments:

  1. Wow, I love you so much. You look so pretty as a train. Also, we need to take more pictures when I visit. One week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy! I was wondering how the storm effected your area. I'm glad it wasn't worse than that! Your kids are adorable as always. Can't wait to see ya!

    ReplyDelete